Quick Start with VirtualBox Appliances

Getting set up to work with LogicBlox can be tedious when you’re new to the database. To simplify this process we’ve now created a few VirtualBox appliances. These will run on any operating system that supports VirtualBox, so Windows, Mac and Linux. To use these you only have to have VirtualBox installed, download the appliance of choice from our releases page, import the appliance (File > Import Appliance) and start the virtual machine. You will now get into a graphical user interface (based on KDE running on NixOS).

lb40-vm

Here’s what’s in the box:

• The LogicBlox database itself (version 3.x or 4.x based on which appliance you downloaded) with all environment variables set up correctly, just run lb services start to start LogicBlox.
  • Documentation (symlinked from your home directory, the reference manual opens up automatically after you boot).
  • For the 3.x VM (this is coming soon to the 4.x versions): a ./create_app.sh script (in your home directory), which creates a copy of the “LB Base Project”, a work in progress template project that includes various common application features, including:
    • Some basic measures and dimensions
    • Tabular data exchange services
    • Custom LogiQL JSON services
    • Unit tests for the above
    • Measure service configuration for the measures and dimensions
    • A simple WebUI with authentication (username: user1, password: password) that calls the custom LogiQL JSON service and the measure service.
  • Various useful tools and applications, including: Java, Python, Emacs & Vim (both with LogiQL syntax highlighting), Firefox and Chromium (the open source version of Chrome)

Note that these are the first versions of these VirtualBox Appliances. We’re actively looking for feedback on how to improve them further. Let us know what you think and what we can improve!

9 Comments
  1. Trevor Paddock 7 years ago

Do you think you could make one for the nightly integration build? It would simplify people testing out bug fixes, etc.

• Author
      Zef Hemel 7 years ago

Yes I think that’s possible, it’s already being built in our CI. I’ll see if we can set that up (and what the cost would be to do so).

2. Spencer Rugaber 7 years ago

Zev: If you haven’t already looked at the following, I suggest including its content here: http://server.logicblox.com/twiki/pub/Main/DocRepository/GettingStarted.pdf

• Author
      Zef Hemel 7 years ago

I wasn’t aware of that document, but everything described that document is already preconfigured in these VMs, so it’s not necessary to follow these instructions.

3. Molham Aref 7 years ago

I am giddy with delight.

4. Steve Crawford 7 years ago

Umm… I’m on a Mac, and the appliance downloads don’t seem to finish. Any tips? I can’t import into VirtualBox because the files don’t seem to be complete. I can download other stuff, though, like different versions of LB.

• Steve Crawford 7 years ago

Actually, I got them to download now, but they won’t import. Get the error message:

Failed to import appliance /Users/stevecrawford/Documents/Software/LogicBlox-3.10.4.ova.

Any tips?

• Steve Crawford 7 years ago

I restarted VirtualBox and re-downloaded appliances, and it will now import OK…

• David Mitchell 7 years ago

I cannot get them to download properly on my Macs.

Steve: any idea how you got the problem fixed?